Towns & Villages
The ancient market town of Bampton lies in the south of the area, not far from the River Thames. Until about 1850 it stood in the centre of a large area of common land, hence its name 'Bampton in the Bush'.
BAMPTON, meaning Beam-tun (the settlement by the tree or cross), was a major late Anglo-Saxon centre: the focus of a royal manor, and site of a 'minster' church. At the time of the Norman Conquest, Bampton was one of the three largest settlements in the county and in the Domesday Book of 1086 there is already mention of a market in Bampton. The town enjoyed amazing prosperity in the early Middle ages, and much of its wealth was based on wool though later on there was also textile and leather working.
Bampton may seem oddly familiar to some first time visitors – it was used for filming the outdoor scenes in the popular TV drama ‘Downton Abbey’: the old Grammar School Building which houses Bampton Community Archive, with its impressive collection of old photographs of Bampton and its people, served as the 'Downton' hospital and St Mary’s Church, whose spire provides one of the landmarks of the upper Thames Valley, also featured prominently.
More details can be found on our Downton Abbey film locations page.
Bampton is lively village with a good array of amenities including West Ox Arts Gallery, which is housed on the first floor of the town hall right in the centre of the village and has a rolling programme of exhibitions of various art forms. For generations Bampton has been famous for its Morris Dancing traditions celebrated each late May Bank Holiday in Bampton Day of Dance.
There is a downloadable leaflet - Bampton Footpaths (pdf 1.62Mb) - showing the footpaths around Bampton, including a circular walk.
Bampton Archive, originally Bampton Museum, is based in the Vesey Room of the Old Grammar School...0.13 miles away
The parish of Bampton was the largest in Oxfordshire and incorporated some 11,238 acres as late...0.16 miles away
A traditional working pottery alongside a contemporary gift shop and country cafe.
All the...1.42 miles away
Considered a significant medieval church, St Mary the Virgin's earliest features are Norman...1.88 miles away
A small 13th century church, standing behind its churchyard on the north-west edge of the village,...2.07 miles away
The architecture is in the Early English and Perpendicular styles consisting of nave, 14th century...2.69 miles away
Berks, Bucks & Oxon Wildlife Trust’s largest nature reserve, covering 250 ha of the Upper Thames...2.7 miles away
Indoor play for 0-11 year olds with slides, ball pits, tunnels and rope bridges. There is a...2.78 miles away
This is the only church in England dedicated to St. Britius, who was canonised in 443 A.D.
The...2.86 miles away
St John’s Church began life in 1908 as a Mission Church to Black Bourton. It was rebuilt in 1963...3.08 miles away
Facilities include: 25m six lane swimming pool; separate toddler pool; aerobics studio; fitness...3.27 miles away
St Bartholomew's Church dates from the 11th century with the north aisle the most interesting...3.84 miles away
Crocodiles of the World is the UK's first and only crocodile zoo, and is home to over 80...3.86 miles away
Set within 21 hectares (50 acres) Kilkenny Lane Country Park is an ideal location for playing,...3.86 miles away
St George's Church in Kencot is of late 12th century origin and features a tower with a curious...3.87 miles away
This large medieval cruciform church, with a north and south transept, dates back to the 12th to...3.94 miles away
Bring your children to have fun in an interactive soft play experience. Let their imaginations come...3.98 miles away
St Matthew's church stands slightly adrift of the village, which has over time shifted north west...4.11 miles away
Located on the edge of the Cotswolds, the Witney Lakes Golf Club is a stunning 6,500yds, par 71...4.19 miles away
The Spa at Witney Lakes Resort provides you with the chance to taste the exotics as well as adding...4.19 miles away
Humble and unadorned, Shilton's Church of the Holy Rood stands on a slope above the village. The...4.32 miles away
Standing at one end of Church Green, the imposing 156ft spire and impressive size of St Mary’s...4.53 miles away
The remains of the ‘Bishop’s Palace’ are situated in the grounds of Mount House, just east of St...4.56 miles away
Our brewery is open for public tours every weekend. Booking is essential.
Fridays -...4.59 miles away
Originally a chapel of ease, St George's Church in Kelmscott is practically unaltered since the...4.73 miles away
The splendid 18th century buildings, in the idyllic setting of the tranquil village of Filkins,...4.74 miles away
With a full programme of swimming, a host of dry activities and a café with pool viewing area...4.77 miles away
There's no better day out than one on the water!
The watersports centre is located between two...4.78 miles away
Housed in a 17th century cottage in the centre of the beautiful village of Filkins, the Swinford...4.8 miles away
The summer home of William Morris, Kelmscott Manor is a Grade I listed farmhouse, built around 1600...4.8 miles away
Rushy Common and neighbouring Tar Lakes is a 30 hectare site with three lakes, left after gravel...4.84 miles away
Marriotts Walk is in the centre of Witney, just off Welch Way, and offers High Street named shops...4.86 miles away
St Peter’s, Filkins was built in medieval (Victorian Gothic) style in 1855 - 57 by George Edmund...4.86 miles away
Modern five screen multiplex cinema set in the Marriotts Walk Shopping Centre in Witney.
Rated...4.91 miles away
The church has an unusual tower, positioned in the north west corner of the church it is square at...4.92 miles away
St Peter’s, Broughton Poggs, is situated in a farmyard although many of the former barns on the...4.94 miles away
Cogges Manor Farm is a beautifully preserved collection of Cotswold stone farm buildings set in its...4.95 miles away
The large ground floor gallery houses a long term exhibition, showing the history of Witney and the...4.97 miles away
Ruins of a large 15th century manor set around a courtyard. Situated in attractive settings on the...5.08 miles away
St Kenelm's church in Minster Lovell is mainly 15th century, built on the foundations of an earlier...5.09 miles away