Bampton - St Mary's Church
The parish of Bampton was the largest in Oxfordshire and incorporated some 11,238 acres as late as 1877. It seems there was a church here long before the Norman Conquest, although the only surviving element before that time is the Anglo-Saxon tower with its fine herringbone stonework. It is likely that any earlier building was severely damaged in the siege of Bampton that took place in 1142 and that work on the present building began in 1153.
The present appearance of the church is largely a result of a remodelling of 1270, when the spire was built and the aisles were added.
In the last few years the church, along with the streets and buildings around it, has featured on a number of occasions in the hit television series Downton Abbey.
|. (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
Bampton Archive, originally Bampton Museum, is based in the Vesey Room of the Old Grammar School...0.05 miles away
A traditional working pottery alongside a contemporary gift shop and country cafe.
All the...1.57 miles away
Considered a significant medieval church, St Mary the Virgin's earliest features are Norman...1.72 miles away
A small 13th century church, standing behind its churchyard on the north-west edge of the village,...1.95 miles away
The architecture is in the Early English and Perpendicular styles consisting of nave, 14th century...2.53 miles away
Indoor play for 0-11 year olds with slides, ball pits, tunnels and rope bridges. There is a...2.63 miles away
This is the only church in England dedicated to St. Britius, who was canonised in 443 A.D.
The...2.77 miles away
Berks, Bucks & Oxon Wildlife Trust’s largest nature reserve, covering 250 ha of the Upper Thames...2.86 miles away
St John’s Church began life in 1908 as a Mission Church to Black Bourton. It was rebuilt in 1963...2.94 miles away
Facilities include: 25m six lane swimming pool; separate toddler pool; aerobics studio; fitness...3.15 miles away
St George's Church in Kencot is of late 12th century origin and features a tower with a curious...3.71 miles away
Set within 21 hectares (50 acres) Kilkenny Lane Country Park is an ideal location for playing,...3.73 miles away
Crocodiles of the World is the UK's first and only crocodile zoo, and is home to over 80...3.74 miles away
This large medieval cruciform church, with a north and south transept, dates back to the 12th to...3.78 miles away
St Bartholomew's Church dates from the 11th century with the north aisle the most interesting...3.91 miles away
St Matthew's church stands slightly adrift of the village, which has over time shifted north west...3.96 miles away
Bring your children to have fun in an interactive soft play experience. Let their imaginations come...4.02 miles away
The Spa at Witney Lakes Resort provides you with the chance to taste the exotics as well as adding...4.16 miles away
Located on the edge of the Cotswolds, the Witney Lakes Golf Club is a stunning 6,500yds, par 71...4.16 miles away
Humble and unadorned, Shilton's Church of the Holy Rood stands on a slope above the village. The...4.18 miles away
Standing at one end of Church Green, the imposing 156ft spire and impressive size of St Mary’s...4.57 miles away
The splendid 18th century buildings, in the idyllic setting of the tranquil village of Filkins,...4.58 miles away
The remains of the ‘Bishop’s Palace’ are situated in the grounds of Mount House, just east of St...4.6 miles away
Wednesdays - 6.30pm
Thursdays - 7pm
Fridays - 3pm
Saturdays - 11am, 11.30am, 2pm, 2...4.63 miles away
Originally a chapel of ease, St George's Church in Kelmscott is practically unaltered since the...4.63 miles away
Housed in a 17th century cottage in the centre of the beautiful village of Filkins, the Swinford...4.64 miles away
St Peter’s, Filkins was built in medieval (Victorian Gothic) style in 1855 - 57 by George Edmund...4.7 miles away
The summer home of William Morris, Kelmscott Manor is a Grade I listed farmhouse, built around 1600...4.71 miles away
St Peter’s, Broughton Poggs, is situated in a farmyard although many of the former barns on the...4.79 miles away
With a full programme of swimming, a host of dry activities and a café with pool viewing area...4.82 miles away
Marriotts Walk is in the centre of Witney, just off Welch Way, and offers High Street named shops...4.89 miles away
There's no better day out than one on the water!
The watersports centre is located between two...4.92 miles away
Rushy Common and neighbouring Tar Lakes is a 30 hectare site with three lakes, left after gravel...4.94 miles away
Modern five screen multiplex cinema set in the Marriotts Walk Shopping Centre in Witney.
Rated...4.94 miles away
The church has an unusual tower, positioned in the north west corner of the church it is square at...4.97 miles away
Cogges Manor Farm is a beautifully preserved collection of Cotswold stone farm buildings set in its...5 miles away
The large ground floor gallery houses a long term exhibition, showing the history of Witney and the...5.01 miles away
Ruins of a large 15th century manor set around a courtyard. Situated in attractive settings on the...5.04 miles away
St Kenelm's church in Minster Lovell is mainly 15th century, built on the foundations of an earlier...5.06 miles away
Like so many churches, St Giles Church is medieval in origin but has had many alterations and...5.25 miles away