This large medieval cruciform church, with a north and south transept, dates back to the 12th to 14th centuries and reflects the importance of Broadwell (or Bradwell) at that time. Nowadays it stands in a small village of a few houses, with another small village, Kencot, just beyond the eastern church wall.
In the 12th century Broadwell had a population of about 2,000. Did the Black Death kill the village in 1349 or was it the collapse of the Knights Templar, Broadwell's benefactors? There is no evidence of the Black Death but the building of this church and its recorded history does coincide with the rise in power of the Knights Templar after the First Crusadeand the gift of land in Broadwell to them in 1185 and the building of the spire using their money in about 1260. By then the Knights Templar had built a vast international financial and military empire such that the monarchs of Europe were indebted to them. King Philip IV of France pressurised Pope Clement V to declare the Knights Templar heretical and the Grand Master, Jacques de Molay, was burnt at the stake in Paris in 1314. A timescale perfectly in tune with the building of this large and magnificent church and, possibly, the decline of Broadwell village.
The church doesn’t face east but north-east, which accords with the Templar’s practice of aligning churches with sunrise on the Patronal Saint’s day, 29th June for the Saints Peter and Paul.
All monastic orders ceased under Henry VIII and churches supported by them often fell into disrepair because villages could not adequately maintain them. Broadwell appears to have fared better as the manor held rich farming estates. The next major reconstruction came with the Victorian Restorers and one, E.G.Bruton, worked on Broadwell in 1873. He stripped the medieval plaster and paintings off the walls and reroofed the nave, chancel and transepts with a steeper pitched roof.
Download the Broadwell Church Guide (pdf 3.8Mb)
|. (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
St George's Church in Kencot is of late 12th century origin and features a tower with a curious...0.38 miles away
The splendid 18th century buildings, in the idyllic setting of the tranquil village of Filkins,...0.81 miles away
Housed in a 17th century cottage in the centre of the beautiful village of Filkins, the Swinford...0.87 miles away
St Peter’s, Filkins was built in medieval (Victorian Gothic) style in 1855 - 57 by George Edmund...0.93 miles away
St Matthew's church stands slightly adrift of the village, which has over time shifted north west...1.04 miles away
St Peter’s, Broughton Poggs, is situated in a farmyard although many of the former barns on the...1.06 miles away
The architecture is in the Early English and Perpendicular styles consisting of nave, 14th century...1.37 miles away
Considered a significant medieval church, St Mary the Virgin's earliest features are Norman...2.12 miles away
Indoor play for 0-11 year olds with slides, ball pits, tunnels and rope bridges. There is a...2.17 miles away
A small 13th century church, standing behind its churchyard on the north-west edge of the village,...2.3 miles away
A small, picturesque church dating back to the 12th century but with a little 19th century bellcote...2.35 miles away
St John’s Church began life in 1908 as a Mission Church to Black Bourton. It was rebuilt in 1963...2.45 miles away
Lechlade Trout Fishery has a 9 - acre lake (Troutmaster Water) and 250 yds of The River Leach...2.61 miles away
One of Oxfordshire’s top venues and one of the most beautiful wildlife attractions in the country....2.74 miles away
Humble and unadorned, Shilton's Church of the Holy Rood stands on a slope above the village. The...2.74 miles away
Originally a chapel of ease, St George's Church in Kelmscott is practically unaltered since the...2.98 miles away
Facilities include: 25m six lane swimming pool; separate toddler pool; aerobics studio; fitness...3 miles away
Set within 21 hectares (50 acres) Kilkenny Lane Country Park is an ideal location for playing,...3.18 miles away
The summer home of William Morris, Kelmscott Manor is a Grade I listed farmhouse, built around 1600...3.28 miles away
Built in 1895 to replace an earlier church and medieval chapel of ease. Although some brick and...3.33 miles away
Crocodiles of the World is the UK's first and only crocodile zoo, and is home to over 80...3.62 miles away
This is the only church in England dedicated to St. Britius, who was canonised in 443 A.D.
The...3.65 miles away
Cotswold Boat Hire offer hourly hire boats – rowing and electric - as well as day cabin cruisers,...3.71 miles away
The parish of Bampton was the largest in Oxfordshire and incorporated some 11,238 acres as late...3.78 miles away
Bampton Archive, originally Bampton Museum, is based in the Vesey Room of the Old Grammar School...3.8 miles away
Enjoy the gentle meanderings of one of Britain’s premier waterways on the beautiful launch...4.03 miles away
Westwell's church offers pleasures out of all proportion to its size - a picturesques setting...4.08 miles away
The course is fairly flat and although not long at a maximum of 6,401 yards, it does offer a...4.5 miles away
Recently re-opened after refurbishment, the Tolsey Museum is housed in the early Tudor market...4.96 miles away
At The Burford Tour we aim to show you how this beautiful medieval town has developed over the...4.96 miles away
An historically informative yet hugely entertaining way to soak up the atmosphere of this beautiful...4.98 miles away
A 12th century church in the Windrush Valley, with a 14th century transept converted into a chantry...4.99 miles away
A tiny church on its own in the Windrush Valley. In 1904 it was found to have been built on the...5.1 miles away
One of the large Cotswold 'wool churches' built between 1160 and 1475. Items of interest...5.12 miles away
Set in the Windrush Valley, St Mary's church is 12th century with early enlargements and a tower...5.27 miles away
A traditional working pottery alongside a contemporary gift shop and country cafe.
All the...5.35 miles away
St James Church is a fine example of a Norman church that managed to escape overly enthusiastic...5.52 miles away
The Spa at Witney Lakes Resort provides you with the chance to taste the exotics as well as adding...5.67 miles away
Located on the edge of the Cotswolds, the Witney Lakes Golf Club is a stunning 6,500yds, par 71...5.67 miles away
St Kenelm's church in Minster Lovell is mainly 15th century, built on the foundations of an earlier...6.32 miles away