Rushy Common Nature Reserve
Tel: 01865 815426
Rushy Common and neighbouring Tar Lakes is a 30 hectare site with three lakes, left after gravel extraction in the Lower Windrush Valley, that are being managed for the benefit of people and wildlife.
Tar Lakes is an eight hectare area of open space for local people to enjoy, with a walk around two lakes, an amenity lake and a conservation lake, using footpaths accessible to people of all levels of mobility. The amenity lake has been designed to be enjoyed by people with a 650 metres surfaced path suitable for wheelchair users, two main seating areas and perch posts every 100 metres. The conservation lake has been designed for wildlife and provides a more informal, quiet area with mown paths meandering through longer grass.
Rushy Common Nature Reserve is a haven for wildlife and so public access is not permitted across the reserve. However, the bird hide on the southern shore offers good views across the site and is accessible to wheelchair users. Keys for the hide can be purchased from Witney Visitor Information Centre (for £10) and enable you to visit this and the two bird hides at Standlake Nature Reserve.
Circular Walks from Rushy Common
Rushy Common car park provides a good starting point for circular walks in the wider area. Follow a three mile circuit south for a gentle walk beside the River Windrush or a three mile circuit north to South Leigh to see the wall paintings in the parish church of St James the Great.
Both Tar Lakes and Rushy Common are being managed by Smiths Bletchington, a gravel extraction company working in the Lower Windrush Valley.
Visiting the sites
Rushy Common and Tar Lakes are found to the south east of Witney, on Cogges Lane, a single track road that runs from Cogges to Stanton Harcourt. The Ordnance Survey grid reference is SP 380 075.
Rushy Common and Tar Lakes map (1Mb pdf)
The car park at Rushy Common has space for roughly 20 cars and is open at all times. A height barrier restricts vehicles over 2.1 metres. There are two parking spaces designated for use by disabled visitors.
|Opening (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
There has been a church here since Norman times, though most of the existing church is late 15th...1.31 miles away
St Bartholomew's Church dates from the 11th century with the north aisle the most interesting...1.4 miles away
There's no better day out than one on the water!
The watersports centre is located between two...1.74 miles away
Cogges Manor Farm is a beautifully preserved collection of Cotswold stone farm buildings set in its...1.87 miles away
The church has an unusual tower, positioned in the north west corner of the church it is square at...1.91 miles away
The remains of the ‘Bishop’s Palace’ are situated in the grounds of Mount House, just east of St...1.92 miles away
With a full programme of swimming, a host of dry activities and a café with pool viewing area...1.98 miles away
Standing at one end of Church Green, the imposing 156ft spire and impressive size of St Mary’s...1.98 miles away
Wednesdays - 6.30pm
Thursdays - 7pm
Fridays - 3pm
Saturdays - 11am, 11.30am, 2pm, 2...2.17 miles away
Bring your children to have fun in an interactive soft play experience. Let their imaginations come...2.21 miles away
The large ground floor gallery houses a long term exhibition, showing the history of Witney and the...2.28 miles away
Marriotts Walk is in the centre of Witney, just off Welch Way, and offers High Street named shops...2.31 miles away
Modern five screen multiplex cinema set in the Marriotts Walk Shopping Centre in Witney.
Rated...2.34 miles away
St Michael’s church is cruciform in shape, Norman, Early English and Perpendicular in architecture....2.42 miles away
Like so many churches, St Giles Church is medieval in origin but has had many alterations and...2.49 miles away
Facilities include: four court sports hall for indoor cricket, badminton, football, basketball,...3.27 miles away
St Leonards dates from the 13th century but was heavily restored in Victorian times (by William...3.41 miles away
St John the Evangelist is Victorian, built in 1868/9 to replace an 18th century church close by....3.68 miles away
A traditional working pottery alongside a contemporary gift shop and country cafe.
All the...3.83 miles away
An architecturally fascinating church: the church is late Anglo-Saxon in origin with the bell tower...3.95 miles away
The Spa at Witney Lakes Resort provides you with the chance to taste the exotics as well as adding...3.96 miles away
Located on the edge of the Cotswolds, the Witney Lakes Golf Club is a stunning 6,500yds, par 71...3.96 miles away
Berks, Bucks & Oxon Wildlife Trust’s largest nature reserve, covering 250 ha of the Upper Thames...4.14 miles away
Ruins of a large 15th century manor set around a courtyard. Situated in attractive settings on the...4.33 miles away
St Kenelm's church in Minster Lovell is mainly 15th century, built on the foundations of an earlier...4.37 miles away
The church's octagonal limestone spire is visible from all around. Dating back to 12C, the church...4.39 miles away
The parish of Bampton was the largest in Oxfordshire and incorporated some 11,238 acres as late...4.94 miles away
Bampton Archive, originally Bampton Museum, is based in the Vesey Room of the Old Grammar School...4.95 miles away
St Peter's is a fine Norman church with lovely woodwork and glass. It was built in the early years...4.97 miles away
St Peter's Church in Wilcote is probably of 12th century origin but with a significant Victorian...5 miles away
This is the only church in England dedicated to St. Britius, who was canonised in 443 A.D.
The...5.05 miles away
The remains of a large and well-built Roman courtyard villa facing south east over the Evenlode...5.12 miles away
A Grade II* listed building, Combe Mill is the original ‘power house’ of the old Blenheim Palace...5.26 miles away
The Oxford Bus Museum tells the story of bus and coach travel around Oxfordshire over the last...5.37 miles away
St Laurence has been a place of worship for more than 600 years - the nave was completed in 1395. ...5.68 miles away
Holy Trinity was built in Gothic Revival style in 1841, though then it only consisted of the nave....5.87 miles away
Crocodiles of the World is the UK's first and only crocodile zoo, and is home to over 80...5.9 miles away
Facilities include: 25m six lane swimming pool; separate toddler pool; aerobics studio; fitness...5.93 miles away
Considered a significant medieval church, St Mary the Virgin's earliest features are Norman...6.2 miles away
St John’s Church began life in 1908 as a Mission Church to Black Bourton. It was rebuilt in 1963...6.24 miles away